The Principles of Faith (Arkan al-Iman) and Their Correlation with Medical and Scientific Verses (Ayat) in al-Qur'an al-Karim
Keywords:Quran, Science, Medicine, Faith
In the Glorious Qur'an, there are about 1153 out of a total 6236 (18.5%) Ayat (verses) that deal with different medical/scientific themes. We believe that the rationale behind those scientific references in the Glorious Qur'an is mainly to support the cause of faith especially in Allah All-Mighty and in the hereafter as there is a strong correlation(> 92%) between the principles of faith and these Ayat. Actually in 86% of these Ayat there is one or more principle of faith in the same Ayah (verse) which has the scientific reference while in the remaining 14% of these Ayat, a principle of faith is stated in the Ayah that precedes and/or that follows. These principles of Iman (faith) are: Iman in
Allah, the angels, the revealed books, the messengers, the hereafter, and destiny.
This study demonstrated that the Qur'an is mainly a Book of Iman and Hidayah (guidance), but it is also a Book that encourages science and research.
Presented at the 30th annual convention of the Islamic Medical Association of North America, July 26-August 1, 1997. Amman, Jordan
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).